Hot Aerogel Insulation using Pyrogel® XT-E
Aspen Aerogel’s Pyrogel® XT-E is the most effective high temperature insulation material in the industry. It has the lowest thermal conductivity of any known solid which makes Pyrogel® XT-E the leader for industrial and marine insulation. Pyrogel® XT-E are 5mm & 10mm thick blankets formed of silica aerogel and reinforced with a non-woven glass-fiber batting.
- Extremely hydrophobic whereby it offers a high level of protection against corrosion under insulation (CUI)
- Delivers mid to high temperature range insulation (-40⁰C to 600⁰C)
- Extremely low thermal conductivity (k-value) that reduces heat loss
- Light weight, thin profile and robust material
|Thickness*||0.20 in (5 mm)||0.40 in (10 mm)|
|Roll Size*||Width: 60 in (1,500 mm)
Length: 260 ft (80 m)
|Width: 60 in (1,500 mm)
Length: 155 ft (47 m)
|Max. Use Temp||1200 °F (650 °C)|
|Density*||11 lb/ft3 (0.18 g/cc)|
* Nominal values. Thicknesses measured using a method derived from ASTM C 518 and another proprietary method to provide resolutions an order of magnitude smaller than ASTM C 167.
Pyrogel® XT-E is ideal for insulating pipes, vessels, tanks, and equipment in a variety of industries. It is a high performing material that is durable to wear, tear and extreme weather conditions, thus it is widely accepted by many industries that include:
- Downstream Oil and Gas Industry – Refineries, Petrochemical Plants and Gas Processing Plants
- Upstream Oil and Gas Industry – Subsea Piping and Offshore Platforms
- Marine and LNG Vessels
- Power Generation Sector
Key Benefits :
The superiority of Pyrogel XT-E over existing insulation material is well defined by its performance, benefits over conventional insulation are:
- Superior Thermal Performance
Up to five times better high thermal performance than competing insulation products
- Hydrophobic Yet Breathable
Pyrogel® XT-E repels liquid water but allows water vapor to pass through. Thus corrosion under insulation (CUI) is significantly reduced. Hydrophobicity minimizes water ingress and breath-ability allows any trapped water to escape as vapor.
- Reduced Thickness and Profile
Equal thermal resistance at a fraction of the thickness of other industrial insulation materials. The thin profile is extremely useful in areas with space and weight constraints.
- Less Time and Labor to Install
Pyrogel® XT-E insulation is easily cut and conformed to complex shapes, tight curvatures, and spaces with restricted access.
Pyrogel® XT-E is easily removed for inspection and maintenance and can be reused in original service, reducing downtime and eliminating the need to purchase replacement insulation at regular maintenance cycles
- Physically Robust and Impact Resistant
Soft and flexible but with excellent spring back, Pyrogel® XT-E recovers its thermal performance even after compression events as high as 100 psi. Thus, protecting critical assets from compromise due to tool strikes, footfalls, lifting, and transportation.
- Long Term Asset Integrity
Due to its CUI reduction capability and robust durability, Pyrogel® XT-E gives a long term insulation solution to protect the assets in the long run.
- Shipping and Warehousing Savings
Reduced material volume, high packing density, and low scrap rates can reduce shipping volumes by a factor of five or more compared to rigid, pre-formed high-temperature insulation.
- Simplified Inventory
Unlike rigid pre-forms such as pipe cover or board, the same Pyrogel® XT-E blanket can be kitted to fit any shape or design.
- Environmentally Safe
Our high-temperature insulation is landfill disposable, shot-free, with no respirable fiber content
Thickness comparison for equivalent thermal performance:
Thickness comparison between Pyrogel® XT-E , Mineral wool, Fiberglass, Calcium silicate & Expanded perlite for hot insulation at equivalent thermal performance
Thickness comparison between Pyrogel® XT-E and Calcium silicate on an equivalent pipe diameter and thermal performance basis, potentially providing valuable space savings in plants and pipe racks.