Online Cleaning of Furnaces and Boilers
Fouling in Fired Heaters and Boilers
Refinery and Petrochemical Plant Furnaces or Utility Boilers that fire fossil fuels are usually prone to some degree of fouling on the fireside.
- The heavier or ‘dirtier’ the fuel, the more severe the degree of fouling experienced.
- Fouling fuels include Coal, Lignite, Heavy Fuel Oil, Vacuum Tar Residues, SynCrude, Biomass and even Sour Gasses
The fouling that is generated from the burning of these fuels tends to deposit in all areas along the Flue Gas path including:
- Combustion chamber
- Convection bank or Superheaters
- Waste Heat Boilers
Superheater tube fouling when firing Heavy Fuel Oil
Superheater tube fouling when firing Coal
Ecomomiser Fin tube fouling when firing Heavy Fuel Oil
The Therma-Chem Online Cleaning Solution
For over 30 years, Therma-Chem UK have developed a novel set of online fire side cleaning solutions, designed to work on all types of process furnaces and boilers burning heavy oil, coal, sour gas or even bio fuels. The cleaning process generally requires the chemical to be injected into the combustion chamber of the effected system using a propriety chemical and injection system.
The chemical works by reacting with the existing hard deposits and foulants on the tubes and reduces them to soft powdery ash allowing units to maintain higher thermal-efficiencies during the run as well as to recover boiler or furnace capacity if it was limited by fouling.
The chemical also neutralises the sulphur deposits on the cold end of the flue gas path preventing cold end corrosion and eases man entry during a maintenance or inspection shutdown.
Chemical Injections into a Coal Fired Power Plant Boiler
Benefits of the Therma-Chem Online Cleaning System
- Furnaces are cleaned Online – NO shutdowns or slowdowns required during injections
- Reduces Fouling in various parts of the system – No direct line of sight required towards the problem area.
- Improves heat transfer by reducing and removing the surface foulants, hence improvings overall Furnace or Boiler Efficiency
- Prevents throughput or load reduction due to fouling
- Better Flue gas circulation through the system
- Reduces high temperature metallic (Vanadium/Nickel) corrosion
- Inhibits Sulphuric Acid (cold-end) Corrosion
- Reduces Air Pollution or Acid Smutting
Where has Therma-Chem been used
Over the years, Therma-Chem has successfully treated hundreds of plants and units globally and have experience with virtually most fossil fuel fired systems including:
- Crude and Vacuum Distillation Furnaces
- Hydrotreating and Hydrocracking Furnaces
- Platformer and Rerformer Furnaces
- Thermal Cracker or Visbreaker Furnaces
- Hot Oil Furnaces
- Utility Boilers
- Power Plant Boilers
- Chain Grate Coal Boilers
- Pulverized Fuel Coal Boilers
- Marine Boilers
- Waste Heat Boilers
- CO Boilers
Therma-Chems technology is UN Certified and is an approved technology as per the Kyoto protocol in reducing green house gas emissions (via boiler energy efficiency improvement) and is eligible for CDM projects. This can be applied for on a case by case basis.
Local Service with Global Expertise
KLAY EnerSol is the exclusive distributor and technical service provider for Therma-Chem in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, The Philippines, and Pakistan. We have a team of highly trained specialists who can advise and mobilise on short notice if required. Feel free to contact us for more information.
Super heater tubes in a coal fired boiler Before and after Therma-Chem Treatment. Volume of deposits significantly reduced!
Radiant Section tubes Before and after Therma-Chem Treatment in the same Fuel Oil Fired Furnace. Volume and nature of deposit chemically altered making it brittle and easily removable
Economiser fin tube fouling in a Marine Boiler firing Heavy Fuel Oil Before and After Therma-Chem Treatment